Asthma is a chronic respiratory problem caused by bronchial hyperactivity. It is manifested with symptoms like difficulty breathing and coughing attacks. The bronchial tubes become oversensitive and react violently to certain substances. Those specific violent reactions cause inflammation of the bronchial tubes and mucus secretion, which reduces the space for airflow. This disease is serious global health problem. Asthma is an auto-immune disease. This means that the body starts attacking itself and the usual stuff from the surrounding environment are interpreted as a foreign body. Asthmatic attacks can be triggered by a number of factors: allergic reactions, respiratory infections, drugs (eg, aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, beta-blockers), stress during sleep (the asthma related deaths occur during sleep).
More than 20 % people of all ages suffer from this health disorder. Asthma can be cured with different kinds of drugs and often requires the use of an inhaler. However, you can find many herbal supplements with various levels of success in the treatment and control of asthma symptoms. Now let’s take a look at four natural remedies for asthma.
Omega-3 essential fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that are extremely important for general human health. The main dietary sources of omega-3 fatty acids are sea fish, flaxseed oil, and eggs. Research has confirmed that omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation, which is a major cause of asthma.
Top five reasons why you should take omega 3 fatty acids:
• Reduce total fat in your body (cholesterol and triglycerides)
• Reduce high blood pressure.
• Reduce the risk of heart attack.
• Reduce depression
• Reduce joint pain
Vitamin C plays an important role for the entire immune system. It is very useful in the treatment of lung disease. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and it can reduce the presence of allergens in the lungs that can harm the bronchial tubes and cause asthma. People who regularly consume sufficient amounts of vitamin C rarely suffer from asthma. Daily needs for this vitamin are about 80 mg, while for the asthma treatment the higher intake is recommended. Foods rich in vitamin C are citrus fruits, red pepper, cabbage, broccoli, strawberries.
Next natural remedy for asthma is vitamin B12. Several scientific tests proved that vitamin B12 may reduce the severity and frequency of asthma symptoms. Foods rich in vitamin B12 are meat, milk and eggs.
Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants and can be an effective natural cure for asthma.These are substances that can be synthesized only in plants. Besides being enriched with absorption of vitamin C, flavonoids have a positive effect on the whole body. They can prevent and relieve many diseases and ailments. Flavonoids have a positive effect on the membrane of the lungs and they successfully relieve inflammation. Powerful sources of quercetin and other flavonoids are green tea, onions, ginger, shrimp and grape seeds. You can also try red wine, dark chocolate, berries, peppers, tomatoes, oranges, etc.
How to treat asthma at home:
• Stop eating foods that contain grains
• Stop eating industrial produced food
• Stop consuming milk (or use raw milk)
• Increase the intake of vitamin D3 and sit in the sun minimum 2 hours per day
• Regularly consume green smoothies
• Ventilate regularly and reduce heat while sleeping
Home recipes for asthma treatment:
Coffee beans and honey
• Take 1 kg of finely crushed coffee and mix it with 2 kg of honey.
• Take one tablespoon per day for 6 weeks.
Ground fennel seeds and milk
This can be a perfect combination for asthma problems.
• Mix 1 tablespoon of ground fennel seeds with 1 tablespoon of honey.
• Pour in 3 dl of milk and cook for 15 minutes.
• After 15 minutes of cooking pour the liquid over 2 teaspoons of chamomile flowers.
• Cover it and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Take one cup several times a day.
Horseradish and honey
This amazing plant has medicinal properties and it is excellent for the treatment of asthma.
• Mix grated horseradish with 1 kg of honey.
• Take three teaspoons 3 times a day.
Garlic and sugar
This is another popular natural remedy for asthma.
• Make a garlic juice and mix it with a teaspoon of sugar (or to taste).
• Take a tablespoon of this remedy every morning before breakfast.