There is no better feeling than when you have a new hairstyle – perfectly shaped ends and a chic fanned hair, instead of having a boring hairstyle with cracked and damaged ends that you entered the salon with. However, even though you regularly wash your hair, and deeply moisturize it, after a few weeks of using the press or hair dryer, damaged ends are almost certainly going to appear.
Many women decide not to cut their hair for months because they want their hair to grow longer as soon as possible. But once the cuticle (the protective layer of the hair) is damaged, it is impossible to maintain it in a healthy condition in the long run. When it’s damaged, the inner layers of the hair – the ones that give the hair its volume, flexibility and elasticity – start splitting. After that, it is impossible to make it healthy again without the use of the scissors. Besides, cracked ends do not stand still, but in fact “travel” up to the root of the hair, until it becomes so fragile that the hair starts to break and fall off.
The most common causes of hair breakage are:
• Combing, when done too roughly or too often, can be harmful, especially when poor quality plastic combs and brushes are used. Also, combing in the opposite direction while the head is tilted down is also bad for the hair, as well as teasing the hair.
• Chemicals are also causing the appearance of split ends, but not only the ones in the hair dyes or the ones that are used for permanent waving, but even the chlorine in the pool.
• Improper washing of the hair using cheap, harsh shampoos.
• Too frequent washing of the hair.
• Washing your hair with too hot water.
• Blow-drying it with too hot and dry air.
• Overexposing it to the sun, heat, dust and bad weather conditions.
• Excessive use of hair straighteners, curling iron, etc.
• Excessive use of hair cosmetics, such as gels, serums and sprays.
• Using of hairclips, especially if they are of poor quality.
• The use of rubber bands.
• Exposing it to UV rays.
• Improper use of hair oil.
The best thing you can do for your hair is to cut damaged ends every six to eight weeks so that the situation would not get worse. After cutting it, devote a little more attention to your hair.
That’s why we tried to check out what are the best ways for preventing the damaging of your hair, and many of them are already in your kitchen at the reach of your fingertips.
Natural remedies for split ends
This is just one of many great ways to use coconut oil.
• Apply it on your hair, starting from the root to the ends.
• Leave to stand for half an hour.
• Wash it off after that.
This in-depth treatment for your hair will help you in preventing the appearance of split ends, and it will also hydrate your hair.
Olive oil is widely used in cosmetics, especially in shampoos and conditioners, that’s why we recommend it as another method which you can use to stop your hair from breaking.
• Take a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and pour it in your palm.
• Rub your hair with it, paying special attention to the ends of the hair.
• Let it sit for a while and then wash it off with a shampoo.
For the split ends you can use the thing you normally eat for breakfast – egg yolk.
• Smash one egg, and apply yolk on your hair.
• Leave it on your head for about 20 minutes.
• Wash the yolk off the scalp thoroughly.
***In case you missed it, here you can read about the health benefits of eggs.
• Take one peeled papaya and half a cup of yogurt.
• Mix together these two ingredients in a blender until the mixture is equalized.
• Apply this mask on your hair and hold it for about 30 minutes.
• Wash it off normally.
This will make your hair shiny and it is great for chapped areas.
• You will need castor oil, mustard plant and olive oil for this recipe.
• Mix together all of the ingredients and massage it into your hair.
• Wrap your hair with a shower cap while leaving this mixture on the hair and wait for about half an hour.
• Wash your hair afterwards.
***In case you missed it, check out the beauty benefits of castor oil.
• Mix together a tablespoon of sour cream with a half a cup of milk until mixture is equalized.
• Apply this mask on your hair.
• Wait for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
Honey is an excellent prevention for split ends.
• Mix one spoon of honey together with a little bit of whey.
• Massage the mixture well into your hair, especially the ends.
• Leave the mask on for about 20 minutes, and then wash it off.
This mixture is not only great against split ends, but it will also make your hair shiny and incredibly beautiful.
Beer is good for your hair and is considered as an excellent balm.
• Wash your hair with a shampoo.
• After shampooing wash off your hair with beer.
You’ll be amazed when you see how shiny and soft your hair is. Regular rinsing of your hair with beer, regardless of whether you have previously used shampoo or not, will significantly help with problems of split ends.
***In case you missed it, read more about the beauty benefits of beer.