Acne scars can be really unpleasant and they mostly affect the younger population. It is known that this problem may have a very negative effect when it comes to self-confidence as well as it may disrupt everyday life of a person. Many young people are familiar with this nasty problem, but the encouraging thing is that there are a number of helpful solutions.
Modern medicine recommends different treatments and face scrubs, such as laser acne scar removal treatments, diamond microdermabrasion treatment and many others. However, before applying any of these invasive methods, it is generally recommended that you try out some of the natural remedies, such as aloe Vera gel, lemon juice, homemade honey and the tea tree oil in combination with vitamin E. These are just some of the natural products which, if used regularly, can reduce and whiten the wound healing traces. So, if you want to learn how to remove acne scars successfully, make sure you read this article until its very end.
What causes acne scars on the face?
When the skin is mechanically damaged, a connective tissue is being formed on the surface of the wound, which is known as a scar. You can get a scar in many different ways, mainly due to certain accidents such as insect bites, acne, pimples, scratches, burns, measles, surgery or after vaccination. Acne scars may appear in different shapes and sizes, and it is certain that such skin problem will significantly affect both physical appearance and self-esteem of a person who is facing with this kind of issue.
Nowadays, thanks to advances in medicine and science, there is a great number of various scar removal treatments and methods, but the first thing you must do, before applying any of the therapies mentioned above, is to ask your dermatologist for a piece of advice. In the first place, the point of having scars removed is to stimulate the formation of new, healthy cells, minimize the formation of connective tissue and form a healthy skin.
However, keep in mind that still there is no way to completely eliminate all the scars, although many cosmetic industry representatives and vendors claim the opposite, but various treatments and remedies can make the acne scars less visible.
Before you apply any homemade remedy to the affected skin area, be sure to cleanse that part of the skin thoroughly, first. Be patient and above all, be persistent, because it takes some time for the first results to be visible, depending on the shape, size and type of a scar.
What does the science say?
It is scientifically proven that the immune response in people who are prone to acne scars significantly differs from the immune response of the skin in people who have the same degree of skin inflammation, but do not have any acne scars. People who are prone to acne scars usually have allergic type of immune response, which means it is specifically directed against these antigens, created during the initial inflammation process.
Thanks to these findings, a new strategy of acne treatment is established. It is based on the establishment of control over the whole process, which refers to a reduction in the number or function of hyperactive cells involved in their creation.
In order to speed up the recovery process, be sure to try some of the following natural remedies.
Aloe Vera gel
Aloe Vera is a natural remedy for removing acne scars, as well as other scars, primarily because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It is a natural emollient that helps damaged skin to heal and encourages the growth of healthy epithelial cells. In addition, it improves the skin texture.
• Take one medium aloe Vera leaf, peel of the green skin and extract the gel.
• Apply the gel to your face, and live it on for about 30 minutes, then wash it off.
• Repeat the process twice a day until the scars become less visible.
NOTE: Be sure not to apply the aloe Vera gel to open wounds.
Lemons contain alpha hydroxy acid that has incredible medicinal properties – it helps in removing all types of scars. Lemon juice can remove dead skin cells, stimulate growth of new cells and improve elasticity of the body’s largest organ. Lemon contains vitamin C, that also helps the skin to regenerate and recover, and with it the citrus efficiently whiten scars.
• Dilute lemon juice with an equal amount of rose water or vitamin E oil.
• Apply the liquid to your scars and leave it for about 10 minutes, then wash it off with lukewarm water.
• You should repeat this procedure once a day, until you get visible results.
NOTE: Due to the fact that lemon can make your skin sensitive to sunlight, do not go outdoors immediately after the treatment, and always use sunscreen.
Honey is a natural skin moisturizer, which makes it very effective in removing acne scars. It will help you get rid of dead skin cells and it will also stimulate the regeneration of damaged skin tissue.
• Apply a bit of honey to your scars, cover it with bandage and leave it overnight.
• The next morning, wash it off with warm water. Repeat the process every day, before bedtime.
• Make a face scrub of equal amounts of honey and granulated sugar.
• Apply the mixture to the affected skin and gently rub a few minutes.
• Wash it of with warm water, pat it dry and apply moisturizer.
• Repeat the process once or twice a week.
Apple cider vinegar
You can remove different types of scars with the help of apple cider vinegar. ACV has acidic nature that acts as a peeling and removes dead skin cells. It also stimulates the growth of healthy skin cells and prevents the formation of acne scars.
• Use the same amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and mix them together.
• Take a cotton pad and dip it in the mixture, then apply it to your face.
• Leave it on for about 5 minutes then wash it off with lukewarm water.
• Repeat the procedure once a day, until you get visible results.
Oil remedies for acne scars
Coconut oil contains antioxidants that promote wound healing. It also contains lauric, caprylic and decanoic acids that stimulate collagen production and promote healing of damaged skin.
• Warm up a bit of coconut oil until it melts.
• Use it to massage your face with gentle circulatory motion while it is still warm, 5 to 10 minutes.
• Leave it for about 1 hour, until it is fully absorbed.
• If you want to get the best results, repeat the treatment at least 3 time a day.
Vitamin E oil
• Open a few Vitamin E capsules and collect the oil.
• Massage your face with it for about 10 minutes.
• Leave it on for another 10 minutes then wash it off with lukewarm water.
• You can repeat this routine a few times a day.
NOTE: This oil can cause an allergic reaction, so it is recommended to make a test with a small part of the skin before using it.
Olive oil has properties that promote healing of damaged skin. It is rich in vitamin E, which keeps the skin moist and soft.
• Warm up a few tablespoons of olive oil and apply it to your face.
• Massage your face with gentle motions for about 5 minutes.
• Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes then wipe it away with a clean cloth or towel.
• Repeat this process a few times a day, until you get the desired result.
• You can use a mixture of lavender and olive oil, for even better results.
Tea tree oil
This amazing natural remedy helps to reduce scars thanks to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
• Put 4 drops of tea tree oil in 2 tablespoons of water.
• Use this solution to massage the scars, 2-3 times a day.
NOTE: Do not use undiluted tea tree oil. It is also recommended to make a little test on the small part of your skin, if this is your first time using this oil.
Sandalwood is known for its regenerative and soothing properties, which makes it perfect for acne scars treatment.
• Mix the same amounts of sandalwood oil and some other oil of your choice.
• Take a cotton pad, dip it in the mixture and apply it to your face.
• Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
Other tips that can help you get rid of acne scars
• Make 1 cup of green tea and let it cool down. Soak a cotton pad in it and apply it to your face using gentle motions. Repeat this routine once a day and the scars will be reduced.
• By applying toothpaste to the scars, you can significantly improve the condition of your face.
• Peeling treatments several times a week will help you to remove the layer of dead skin cells. This treatment will stimulate new skin cells to develop
• Eat foods rich in vitamin E and C in order to speed up the skin recovery process.
• Try to minimize the exposure of scars to sunlight, because it can slow down the healing process and make your scars more prominent.