A hickey or love bite is a kind of bruise. These kiss marks are usually a result from kissing or suckling of the skin, usually on the neck or arm. This form of affection will cause broken capillaries which will result in red or purple mark on the surface of the skin. These marks are not dangerous but can be quite uncomfortable.
In most cases a hickey will last from 5 to 7 days, but sometimes it can take longer than a week to completely disappear. Once healed, there is rarely any kind of scar or mark left behind.
The process of healing takes time. Signs of love bites will decrease and fade away over time, but this process can be accelerated with a few simple steps.
This kind of treatment is very effective when it comes to bruises. When you apply a compress to the affected skin, it will help the blood to spread out.
• Take a couple of ice cubes and wrap them in a washcloth and lightly press it against your skin.
• Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. This will reduce the pain and help prevent further swelling.
• You can also do this with a spoon. Put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
• Then wrap it in a cloth, and gently massage the affected skin area.
• You can repeat this routine several times a day, until hickey fades away.
Aloe Vera is excellent for almost all skin changes. It moisturizes the skin and thus decreases the sensitivity of the damaged skin area. Aloe Vera anti-inflammatory properties will speed up the healing process of broken capillaries.
• Take one fresh aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel.
• Apply the gel to the affected skin are with gentle circular motion.
• Repeat the process 3 times a day, until the hickey disappears.
Oranges are extremely rich in vitamin C, which is an essential nutrient for our body. Vitamin C repairs the skin and has healing properties that will help heal a hickey fast.
• Drinking fresh orange juice after getting a hickey will speed up the healing process.
• Drink orange juice 3 times a day, for one week.
Peppermint will help you improve blood circulation, and thus heal the capillary vessels faster.
• Take a cotton pad and dip it in the peppermint oil.
• Apply it gently to the affected skin area with circular motion.
• You will feel a tingling sensation in the beginning, but it will quickly go away.
NOTE: Do not use this remedy more than twice a day as it can irritate the skin.
Banana peel has a calming effect and it will help cool down the affected skin are.
• Take a banana peel and cut it to the size of your hickey.
• Apply it to the hickey, so that the inside of the peel is touching your skin.
• Wait 15 to 20 minutes, and then remove it.
• You can repeat this routine 3 times a day to reduce the appearance of the bruise.
For hickeys that are two or more days old, heat is the perfect treatment. Warmth will help the blood to circulate and make the healing process fast.
• Take a small towel, soak it in warm water and wring out the excess water.
• Put it on the affected skin area for 10 minutes.
• Repeat this process 2 or 3 times a day, until hickey fades away.
Cocoa butter is an excellent natural remedy for bruises like hickeys. It has moisturizing properties that will accelerate the growth of new healthy skin.
• First you need to warm up and affected skin area by applying a warm compress.
• Once the affected skin area is warm, apply some cocoa butter with gentle circular motion for a couple of minutes. This will stimulate blood circulation.
• Repeat this routine several times throughout the day.
NOTE: You can also use olive oil or almond oil as a replacement.
As the hickey gets older, a gentle massage will help a hickey heal faster.
• Massage the affected skin area with your fingertips, from the center of the bruise to the outer edges.
• Repeat this routine at least 2 times a day for a couple of minutes. It is also recommended to use a warm compress before a massage.
A hickey is a wound that needs time to heal, so you need to be patient and persistent with the method that you are using.